Friday, August 28, 2009

o.k....

I have been informed that I need to do an update...
Araya had another Dr. visit at the U of M. Thanks Mom and Dad for bringing him down to the U and rewarding him with "chicken at KFC." Araya would eat chicken at every meal if we let him! Araya has gained approximately 29 pounds since he joined our family last June...YIKES! It is good since he was so thin when he arrived! Hopefully, we will start to see a little more height on him soon, his Dr. thinks that will happen next! He is doing very well in all areas of his adjustment.
Last week, Morgan picked me up from work and said, "Mom, I have some bad news." "o.k., what is it?" "Well, the dog ate one of Araya's hearing aids." I sat in silence. I thought about it on our 5 minute ride home. I did not want to overreact, but I was a little irritated..o.k...very irritated, they are expensive and we have talked to him numerous times about taking care of them! Anyways, I walked in. He was very nervous, I acted like I knew nothing. Araya walked up to me and said, "Mom, me tell you something, the dog ate my hearing aid." God gave me grace, the words, "oh no, how did that happen?" came out of my mouth, instead of the anger I felt. He told me and showed me how it happened. He had set his hearing aid on a 4-tiered shelf, the dog (long dog-dachshund) got on his back legs and got it and chewed it like a gum ball! I could tell by the look on his face that this had ruined his day already. I bent down and said, "we can't do that again, can we?" "No, he said, I am sorry mom." You see this was enough, he was remorseful and honest and that was enough for me. When I seriously think back to a year ago, I really feel as though I have been given a different child, he has grown so much. I am so thankful for that, and for the gift he has been to me!
We went to get fitted for a new hearing aid this week, the audiologist said, "Dogs like hearing aids." Araya looked at her, looked at me, smiled and said, " I know."

2 comments:

FamilyBergloff said...

Hi Jody: I bet you feel good inside having made it through this
"moment" the way you did. I too would have "reacted" and wished later for a different outcome from myself let alone the child. We as parents need to hold back and demonstrate what it looks like even though we don't feel it!! How come I never learned that before becoming a parent?

The DeJongs said...

You're a beautiful, inspirational mother!!!