Thursday, December 18, 2008

Animal-less

Is Animal-less a word? Well, it happened last week. I can finally talk about it this week!

We have had 3 house dogs at one time, last year Shelby's Dachshund's back went out, we even went so far as to have our local Chiropractor try to help out. It just wasn't meant to be and we ended up having to put him to sleep. Tatoo was only 5 years old.
Last week, I had about had enough! Gus, who is a Pekingese and is two years old, is certainly not the brightest bulb of the bunch, but he sure is cute. Seriously, last year he lifted his leg on our artificial tree in the living room. I saw it with my own eyes......Well, getting back to my story, he has been pulling little stunts like this.
Tinkerbell is Morgan's dog. Tinkerbell is a dachshund, and has been a great pet. Morgan picked her out when she was 4. She however, started to have little accidents...little turned into BIG...just pee, but I had been freaking out.

I was tired of feeling like I was the only person that took care of these animals..it became a cycle...Tinkerbell pee'd and Gus marked where she pee'd. Last Wednesday was the day! I called Troy at work and told the kids that the dogs were going....Where? I was not sure.

Troy came home from work...I said bring them to the Vet! I think I was a little surprised at my follow through on this...as were the others in the family! Troy brought them in and said, what can we do? "They are peeing and my wife is having a breakdown." He paid a fee... a hefty one I might add- for them to do medicals on them and bring them to the Humane Society. Meanwhile the kids and I were having our sad moment at home....this persisted for the next few days...I checked the Humane Society website...2 days later still no dogs listed, not mine anyways. I knew we (I) did the right thing...I just felt really bad. My sanity is worth something though and I knew I could not handle it..Anyways, my parents who were pretty sad for the dogs and the kids....etc...couldn't take it and they called the vet..My Dad did actually. My dad found out that Gus had found a wonderful home, with one of the employees..I thing it was the vet herself...yeah! Tinkerbell however, was still at the vet. The vet said, she is very lonesome and was very sick, with of all things...bladder and kidney infection, that explained a few things.... She was still at the vet on Friday. My dad drove in and took her home..to her new home ..."their home!" We found out last Friday, that Tinkerbell will spend the rest of her days with her brother "Harley" whom they bought when we bought Tinkerbell...I was so relieved to know that wild, dumb and crazy Gus has a new home that he will love and have great care! I am also so thankful and relieved that Tinkerbell has a new home where we can visit her anytime...Thanks Dad and Mom for relieving your daughter of some major stress and sadness.
Please don't write me and tell me that you can't believe I got rid of my dogs....I loved my dogs, but I love my husband and kids more. They like me more too, now that I am not hollaring about the dogs!

3 comments:

Matthew and Amanda said...

You're not a bad person at ALL! You have every right not to clean up "accidents" every day. We're down to one dog and she knows she'll be cut from the team if she acts up!

Amanda

Mary Mork said...

I am kind of sad about all of this. I am a animal lover and know how hard it is to let go of the family pets. For what it is worth, we've been there. It is no fun at the time, but I'm sure it has been a relief and I do understand... We have Bernie if you need a "dog fix"!!?

Julie Swenson said...

Wow, aren't the holidays without animals relaxing?! The fact that I am paying to board a cat right now while we are gone is enough to make me want to scream. I hope your break is going well so far.

Julie