Saturday, March 28, 2009

TWILIGHT ZONE

Today I was able to get out of the house, Yahoo!! I was ready, I have not left the house since Tuesday when I came home from the hospital! I know it's a miracle, I seriously don't think that I have ever been home that long with out leaving!! I like to be home, but I like to go and run around too! I was determined to enjoy some days of doing nothing and I have!!
This morning Troy had a commitment at the school to help put in some baseball fencing, I was thrilled when my parents called and said, "You need to get out, we are coming to get you!" We went to the local Bakery, then a well known store.... I needed a few things...you know how that goes! This is where my story gets a little "twilight zonie." I went to buy my daughter Twilight for her Birthday, that went just fine...it got weird at the check-out.
The lady at the check-out was really talking to my parents, about everything from a-z, I was thinking we are never going to get out of here! Then came my "stuff" well needless to say with 5 girls in the house we need lots of "girlie" items and I stocked up.....she looks at me and says, "How many girls do you have?" I said 4, she started going on and on.....when did you tell them about the "birds and the bees?" Let me just say the conversation in my mind went down hill.....it didn't seem to affect her ...she just kept asking....I am serious...lot's of personal questions and personal things about her! I really couldn't believe that this conversations was taking place...I was a little scared to look at my dad...I did and he said, "I am going to wait over here!" He was trying to help me...he couldn't take it anymore. My mom was shaking her head and she had already moved away...I was trying to bring the conversation back out of the zone...I couldn't. When I left my dad and mom looked at me and said, "I hope you knew her." "nope" I said...."WOW" was all my dad could say!
This conversation got me thinking....maybe I should be a counselor...JUST KIDDING!
Seriously though, I was at a loss for words and that does not happen for me very often..I left the store thinking about this women who asked such personal questions of a complete stranger, who obviously felt the need to talk about the issues at that moment. What was she missing? I left feeling sad for her, she said, "my husband is mad at me because I scared my daughter with our conversation!" she obviously just needed someone to listen to her..I did and maybe many others did today too.
I think as parents we need lots of reassurance, I am learning that my only assurance in life is the gift I have of knowing I have someone so much bigger and better to help me....I will look for this lady next time, part of me may hope that I don't see her, part of me will hope I do! I hope I will know what to say.....Isn't life interesting, I think it was a good thing I got out today.

2 comments:

Julie Swenson said...

I am wondering what all of the irritated people in line behind you were wondering. You probably should be a professional listener. You are just one of those "listener" people. We missed you at the games tonight.

Jody said...

I was wondering what the people behind me were thinking too...I was waiting for them to start hollaring at us....weird