Today was one of those days when I wish I knew I handled things correctly or I wish I had someone that was watching that could reaffirm that I did the right thing! I have second guessed myself all day!
The one thing that I have noticed with parenting Araya is he is the most strong willed (survivor) child I have ever known! He is becoming so much more comfortable expressing himself, it is mostly a good thing, however, not always. He is finding his niche at school, and learning that not all of his choices are good ones....thank you Kim for your consistency with him!!
Today was chapel day at school, since our kids go to a Christian School, they are required to wear "chapel dress" on Wednesday. (we have worship time followed by a speaker). Anyways, I need to tell you that I dread Wednesdays...boys must be in dress pants and dress shirt and shoes, girls are to wear dress pants, skirts or dresses and dress shoes. It seems as though however much planning goes into organizing the morning it is still chaos. Morgan is on the worship team and needs to be at school at 7:30. Which means we all go at 7:30, it is only 15 minutes earlier than usual but for some reason it makes a huge difference......
This morning Araya says to me, " Mom, you pick out my clothes today, o.k." I said sure, I picked out the outfit he wore on Easter, it had been hung up after Church that morning and was really the only thing that I did not need to iron....blue pants, yellow/blue striped oxford...he walked into his room, I hear him say, "awww mom, not these clothes!" I was in my room and said, "yep" those clothes Araya....He then tells me how they don't feel right, the shirt feels big, the pants feel big....you get the picture. I just said, o.k...hollared back..."get dressed Araya." Next thing I know he is in the most wrinkled khaki pants and shirt I have ever seen...o.k... I am a little over the top about wrinkles but this was not good. I said, "Araya, you need to put the clothes on that I set out for you." I then talked to him about how he wanted me to pick out his clothes...blah blah blah.....So Araya stays in his room I gave him a 20 minute warning that we would be leaving soon...15 minute warning.....10 minute warning....progress ....he changed his pants..I said, "Please get the shirt on that isn't a wrinkled ball." No response, shut down has occurred...(siblings starting to get nervous.) I said, "Araya, I do not want to leave you at home today"....other kids start getting in the car. I went and put my stuff in the car....came in, he was watching to see if I would leave him (he was looking out his bedroom window when I entered his room). I said, "Araya, where is your shirt that I set out?" After about 5x asking him he said, with no eye contact and under his breathe, "I don't know." hmmmmmm I find it interesting that his shirt has mysteriously disappeared....by this time I am getting a little irritated, o.k....fuming. I then firmly set him on his bed took his shirt off, grabbed a different semi ironed shirt out of the closet and dragged him to the suburban with no shirt on and no shoes. (we had already put his things in the car!) I handed him his two hearing aids and away we went. He put his shirt on in the car. We arrived at school and he would not get out.....guess what...we all went into school without him...I can see out my window at school, so I watched him and pondered what to do....what do you do if an 11 year old won't get out of the car to attend school....call the police? get the principal? tell your friends you need help? Call your Dad? I let him sit in the car for about 15 minutes. I then went out, and he had decided he would go into school, but he was not going to talk to me...I saw him once at school today..I said, "hi" ...no response..He came home today and went right to his room. I had talked to Troy today about the situation, Troy talked to him when he got home...Araya is still not talking to us, and has lost many privileges today. Why is it that I don't know if we are doing the right thing with him sometimes! I could have just said, "OK go to school like a wrinkled ball"....but I feel like consistency and follow through is such a big part of parenting these boys of ours. It isn't about the clothes, it's about his attitude and "my way or no way" he has about everything..playing a game, helping with dishes, homework...etc.....He will probably never ask me to pick out his clothes again!! Something so little turned HUGE!! Was it worth it...who knows...will he get anything out of it.....who knows....did I get anything out of this today......who knows....Oh boy, I sure hope so!!!
3 comments:
Jody,
I feel your pain, girl!! I know exactly what you are talking about and let me just say...whether you did the right thing or not doesn't matter. You just need to be calm and consistent. This parenting thing is a marathon. Respect (and attitude) is at the base of all your relationships so stick to your guns. Half the time, I don't know if I'm doing the right thing, but I have to believe that over time...our feeble efforts will make a difference. God only asks us to be the best we can be. Sounds to me like that is what you are doing!!? Hang in there, girl! You are indeed doing a great job! By the way, your post was wonderful and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.
While surfing the virtual sea that is internet got hook to your blog. Wanted to tell you that you write so well ... keep up.
god bless you
Jody,
Been there, done that! Need I say more!
Miss you,
barb
Post a Comment