Friday, October 9, 2009

Step into Africa

"Step into Africa," is an exhibit about "The AIDS crisis: Can you survive the journey of a child?"
It is sponsored by World Vision, the exhibit right now is at the Minnehaha Academy South Campus. You can also check out it out at: http://www.worldvisionexperience.org/
Today the 9-12 graders from our school attended this, and it sounds like something you don't want to miss. Troy and I were hoping to go as a family, I was very glad to hear that our 3 girls were going as we have not made it yet! I was a little worried about how my girls and others who are from Ethiopia/Africa would do!
In the exhibit you are given an opportunity to be one of four children, you meet the person through pictures and see their home and then move on through their life walking through different scenes of their life..homes, church, jungle, hospital, sit on their beds, in a hut etc. They also stepped into a hospital, they were then "tested" and then "told" of their status..+ or -, indicated by a mark on their hand. It is their story of how their lives have been changed by AIDS, orphaned and widowed. They also have an opportunity to pray for specific people and needs.
It seems to have been very powerful for my girls. I am so glad that they were supported, specifically Seble, who found this to be difficult, not only because it deals with the loss of parents, siblings with HIV etc.., but because today she had to ponder the thought of, "how and why do some of us get to have a different life?" "Why the suffering?" I am thankful for the students and staff that were able to pray for the ones that this was difficult for, thankful for the ones who stepped out of their comfort zones and asked a question, or put an arm around a friend! I am also thankful for the chance to educate others..what a blessing that is! We have had some great conversations about this today.
The exhibit ends tomorrow but is going to be returning!



No comments: