Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The ornaments....and so much more


Well, we broke into the Christmas box of ornaments and started putting out the snow globes, mistletoe (troy‘s favorite), lights….things were going great….then came the “where are all my ornaments?” “that one is ugly, do we have to put it up?” “I only have three.” “Why isn’t my name on that ornament?” the list goes on….how do you answer that? Our tree is pretty “traditional,” I like the sentimental value that each ornament holds…the three sisters on the sleigh, with the names..Morgan, Shelby, Corbin…dated 2003. The five stockings on the fireplace ornament that reads “The Dobles.” The Soccer player ornament that says, “Araya 2008.” The little African Willow Tree ornament that says “Seble” on the bottom. The wild looking Snowman that says, “Syfah,.” One of my favorites is the Precious Moments ornament of a newlywed couple in the their convertible, it says “First Christmas.”
This year, we just sort of went through that box and started a pile of …No’s and Yes’s. The “No’s” didn’t make it on the tree this year, The “Yes’s” were the lucky ones! As I packed up the lonely ones that didn’t make the cut this year, I found myself feeling a little sad that these didn’t mean as much to the rest of the family as they did to me.
Part of it is the fact that quite simply, Seble, Araya and Syfah don’t have the memories of Christmas like we do….Christmas was not about decorating the tree, or counting the ornaments, or the gifts. I don’t want it to be the meaning for any of us. We/I, am the one who gets caught up in the “looking good” Christmas Tree…or the perfect lights on the garage and house. So while I have been a “little temped“…o.k… a lot tempted to take out the “lonely” ornaments and put a little tree in my bedroom, I won’t.
I also know that this time of year holds a lot of “memories,” for families….that is how “traditions” are made. I really am praying that this Christmas we continue to make memories together that will “unite” us as a family…a family that has been blessed, because we know Jesus and because we have great families and friends who support us!!
P.S. …next year I want a “Non Traditional Pink Christmas Tree.” ;)

2 comments:

Mary Mork said...

Wow! Maybe we should pool our ornaments and have a mom's special "Tree of Meaning"... Nice post. Sounds a little too familiar!

Anonymous said...

I saw an idea in a magazine for "Mom's favorite ornaments" that the rest of the family has gotten over ~
Use them to decorate a wreath!