Monday, March 9, 2009

What?

Many of you that have been reading my blog for a while know that our Araya has had ear surgery on one of his ears, and wears a hearing aid on his other ear. Arayas chronic untreated ear infections while in Ethiopia, left him with extensive hearing loss and scar tissue within the ears. We had hopes that Araya's ear surgery in November would be a success, and have been pleased with the amount of hearing that he has gained, however the dr. feels as though he would still benefit greatly by another hearing aid....needless to say we found this out about 6 weeks ago. We have not moved forward because we needed Araya to "process" this news. He has been less than eager to wear one let alone two! We have communicated and feel as though we have gotten through to him the importance of wearing it.....we have not let his hearing aid be an "option" at school. We have let it slide a little bit at home! It has been about "control" and "compromise".
Tomorrow we will go to the audiologist to get fitted for his hearing aid. I am prepared for him to not talk about it, sit quietly and answer the dr's. questions, and then not speak to me the whole way home. I am prepared but not excited, I would love to say, "let's just forget it". I won't I want him to hear what the teacher says, what we sing in church, when I tell him I love him I want him to HEAR it "loud and clear!" It has been recently hard for me to look at my son and wonder how much he has ahead of him. Don't get me wrong, I know it's only a hearing aid, but it is just another little piece in the puzzle. I don't know how many of you heard last week about the "advancements" that they are making in HIV! I pray every day that the cure is coming! I have hope in knowing that, "GOD IS IN CONTROL!"


Did you know...
Every day 14,000 people contract HIV
40.3 million people now live with HIV/AIDS
AIDS kills 1 child every minute
AIDS has orphaned 15 million children

3 comments:

Positively Orphaned said...

What were the advancements that you learned about with HIV? Do you have a link to an article or anything? Thanks! hibethany@hotmail.com

Matthew and Amanda said...

What a joyful day it will be when there is finally a cure!

I hope the visit with the Dr. goes better than you think. I'm sure it's hard for him, but hopefully the ability to hear better with encourage him to wear it.

Amanda

FamilyBergloff said...

I have children with medical needs and helping them seems to be the biggest wrong to them!! OIY Why do kids fight what's good for them?
Too bad they don't make designer hearing aids with logos... Vikings and Twins or bling on the hearing aid!! Sorta like casting material.
It stands out so why not make it stand out cool!!! Find an artist to paint his hearing aid!!! I know someone who might do this!!