Sunday, February 15, 2009

I feel like a "newbie!"

Well, this is a little bit embarrasing! I feel like having 6 kids should make me an expert in this department, however, I feel like a "newbie". Araya has been a little bit quiet the last two days, yesterday we went out for lunch and he really did not eat his usual amount, his voice sounded scratchy and he was sounding stuffy. I asked him if he felt o.k..."yep" he said. Well by last night he was coughing and just not feeling well. I was trying to talk to him about how he was feeling. The thing I have noticed about Araya is he is a tough kid, never complains about not feeling well and he doesn't like the word, "sick" or "tired". He will certainly never admit to being tired. I am learning that "sick" takes on a different meaning for him. Sick means "really sick or worse." We talked about it last night. I explained to him as best as I could that this sick is different than the sick he has heard about his whole life. It got me thinking again about our conversations about how his friends at the orphanage sometimes died when they got sick, they didn't come back to sleep in the room lined with beds. His mom went to the hospital and never came back... They were gone.
We are trying to think of a new name to call being "sick" around here. I have assured Araya that he will be o.k....but, I can see it in his face. This is new to me too...I have to admit. I am a little freaked out today as I wonder...is it pneumonia, a cold, infection, virus, should we go to the dr.??!!! I feel like I am thinking differently and maybe it is not necessary, but maybe it is! Today he gets to stay in his pajamas and rest. I will watch him like a crazy mom. I was reading in my book today...about HIV..looking for an answer about illness when you are immune compromised...I didn't find what I was looking for. Today and every day I will pray that my son lives to be 99! I will pray that I know what to do, when I need to do it. Last night as he got in bed with me (troy is out of town) he had on his pajamas, his socks and a hooded sweatshirt..I snuggled up to him and he to me! I realized I am in love with this boy more everyday!! About a half hour later he was holding my hand and said, "I am going to my bed now, I love you Mom, you take good care of me!"

6 comments:

Matthew and Amanda said...

He's right. You are a wonderful mother who takes fantastic care of him.

FamilyBergloff said...

AW... Jody... I know that we sometimes look beyond the situation and try to conquer issues before they get a foothold. We are moms and we are protective. I think I can relate a little as I have kids with their medical conditions that make me a bit more tuned in. But you are right we need to pray and it sounds like your little man really knows how much you care.

Tiffany said...

Saying a prayer for Araya (and you) as he feels under the weather. Keep loving the way you do.

barb Holmberg said...

Oh, Jody, this post brought tears to my eyes. Some times I wonder if I ever raised children before--it seems like, if I had, I should be doing a much better job this second time around! Thank you for loving him the way you do! Let's pray for each other!

KelseyChristine said...

What a sweetheart :)

ali said...

what an awesome new family picture! i love it!
my haitian HIV+ son pretends to be fine too, although he is getting better now, after more than 5 years, about coming for help. he has a VERY wrecked knee and now he tells me when hes hurting instead of suffering, but it sure took a long time for him to feel safe enough to do that. years of being ill has sure scarrred him... its so sad.