
This past Tuesday we dropped Morgan off at Camp Heartland, for those of you that are not familiar with Camp Heartland, it is a camp for HIV+ kids, siblings or kids of a parent that has HIV. Araya's doctor recommended it! I will link the website for those of you that are interested in learning more about how the camp was founded...very amazing story! Araya and Syfah will go in July for a fun -filled week.
When I contacted the Camp, we found out that they had a need for some leaders. Since Morgan turned 16 (June 16), she decided she would like to help out! Morgan went through the process of an application and interview. She was selected to be an LIT (leader in training) for 2 weeks in June....so a little disappointed that she wouldn't be at Camp when her brothers would be there, she decided to go for it.
We learned that although CH main goal is to help HIV kids, they also have decided to use the facility for other week long camps. Morgan found out that she will be helping out a week when the camp is hosting "kids in transition," which means "homeless". It is a chance for the kids to get out of the city, some deserved attention and a week away from the stress.
Morgan called today! She is doing well. I must confess this has been tough for me as a parent. When we dropped Morgan off last week, I had this feeling of despair, as though I was leaving her in a situation that I was so "not in control of"! It was not a good feeling. I have prayed more for Morgan this week more than ever! I have had to put my trust in others, people that I don't know really anything about. I have even asked myself, "what was I thinking?" She did not know one person, but, she wanted to do this! I knew that I needed to support her! Today when she called, she said, "Mom, I have met some friends, one from L.A, one from Indiana and another one from out East, I also miss you, and miss my house, but I know this is the right thing for me." She said she has lots of fun stories to share....I can't wait! We will pick Morgan up on July 5th, I have a feeling she will have grown immensely!
I have done a lot of thinking this week, I know this is the beginning of my kids, "branching out, experiencing life, growing up, etc." These are the small steps we take as parents/kids in preparation for "the future"........I just didn't realize it would come so quickly.....enough rambling now...I must get to bed!
3 comments:
Hey sis--partner in the parenting journey.....Hannah and I were discussing today how "confusing" this is--to be so excited for the eldest child to go off on a wonderful heart changing, probably life changing mission, yet have such pain in the heart because of loving and missing her!!
Deab
I am so glad that she is having a good experience. Can't wait to hear all of the details. Let's just hope that these new friends don't encourage her to start thinking about college far away!
Good for her!! I got the chills reading about her feeling this was right for her. Good job, mama. You raised a great girl!
Post a Comment