I can't believe that one year ago Troy was in Ethiopia, meeting our new son and getting ready to make the journey back to Minnesota! We were talking yesterday as Troy, Araya and I picked strawberries. Araya looked at me and said, "why have I never picked strawberries?" I said well, "last year the girls and I picked strawberries while Dad was picking you up in Ethiopia!" "oh yeah," he said. All these firsts have made it an exciting year!
As I look back I am really thankful that "we made it." I knew we would and I know it isn't good to wish the time away. I am just relieved and thankful that, "we are where we are." I also am loving the fact that Araya is talking about the things that he found challenging and is able to laugh about it...just last week he said, "remember, when I was going to walk back to Ethiopia?" Oh yeah, "I remember it like it was yesterday." I said. He also asked, "are we going back to the cabin this summer?" I said, "do you want to go back?" he said, "yeah, I was not a good boy last time." ( If you have been reading this blog for a while, you may remember we cut our vacation short last year)
We have learned a lot from Araya, we have learned to love this boy who has the best laugh ever, with a smile to boot! We have learned that Araya is sensitive, loving, stubborn, artistic, smart and has a heart for others he meets! He asks lots of questions and requires lots of answers...that is good!
We cannot think about the time that we did not have him...we were not complete. As I look back at God's timing in all of this I am constantly amazed and in awe of his faithfulness and love he has shown us and continues to show us! I have discovered that there is a HUGE difference in parenting boys and girls....there is perks to them both and a few lows too. I am glad I was a little "trained in" by the girls before God blessed me with MY boys.
As I have said over and over this past year, "dealing with Arayas health issues and numerous doctors visits, have not been the challenges we have faced, the challenges have come with parenting 6 kids, and the feelings of inadequacy we feel at times."
I get a lot of questions regarding future adoptions and adding to our family. I will never say never, I love kids, I love being a mom......I will say though that God would have to bring us to that point and make it crystal clear.....I think there is a constant feeling of "excitement, anxiety, anticipation," when you begin the process, when you are in the middle of the process and at the end of the process of adoption.....it's what you focus on.
I am ready (I think) to start to work on other areas that need "tuning and defining," but more on that later.......
John 14:18
18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
3 comments:
I can't believe it has been a year already. It zips by so fast.
Isn't it amazing that we could accidentally have lived our lives without these kids and missed all of the fun!! It actually scares me when I think about that.
We don't always know how to handle things or if we did it right!! I think of my friend, M.F. who would say a word about living in Grace.
I am amazed at how much we spend worrying about the wrong things and forget to live "Gracefully"!!
Congrats on this milestone! You are a constant encouragement to me and are wonderful parents! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Post a Comment