Saturday, August 30, 2008

Green Beans and Pickles!







We have enjoyed the benefits of a garden for many years now. My mother in law, Teresa and Father in law, Howard always had a garden. When we bought our house in 1992 I remember being so excited to plant a vegetable garden...I really don't even like vegetables all that much...but their was always something that was appealing to me about growing and producing your own food. I discovered that I loved green beans from the garden and went out that first summer and bought a pressure cooker, I started canning them like a mad women. I was extremely proud of myself. I must have drove my mother in law crazy because of all my phone calls... how small should I cut them, how much salt...quarts or pints? I even got into cutting them french style (at a slant). We enjoyed those green beans all winter and I had continued to can them every summer.
When it was time to plant a garden this year, I said that I couldn't do it. I just felt like it was going to be too much. I just new that with my growing family I would not want to be worried about picking, canning and feeling guilty that I didn't get to it. Then something great happened. My mother in law now lives in a place that does not have a huge yard. She really wasn't up to planting a garden, but has missed it since Howard passed away and it was something that they enjoyed doing together. Guess what.....she said, "you plant your garden and I will do the canning for you!" Yeah...what a deal! We planted and sometimes picked together, the kids helped and it was a successful year of canning! I am thankful that she got back into something she was missing, and I am thankful that we will enjoy green beans and pickles this winter! The kids even helped her! Thanks Mom!
Araya and Syfah helped cut the beans!

Shelby, Grandma and Corbin made pickles!

No comments: